We’ve been working on our birth plan. I didn’t include information about induction/augmentation because my primary audience is hospital personnel and not my midwives per se.
· I would like to have no restrictions on food or fluids during my labor.
· I would like the freedom to move around at will.
· Please do not offer pain medications unless I ask for them.
· As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing. It’s important to me to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how or when to push.
· I would like to be encouraged to try various positions for delivery
· I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless I’m having a medical emergency).
· As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen following the birth. Please delay all essential routine procedures on my baby until after the bonding and breastfeeding period (i.e., bathing).
· Please wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped.
· Please allow my partner to cut the umbilical cord.
· I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin, and/or manual extraction.
· I would like the option of taking home the placenta.
· We would like baby check ups to take place in our room.
· If the baby has any problems, I would like my partner to be present with the baby at all times, if possible.
· Please do not administer eye drops to my baby.
· Please do not administer vitamin K to my baby.
· I prefer any immunizations be postponed to a later time.
o I am willing to sign a waiver for any of the above items
· My baby will be exclusively breastfed.
In Case of Emergency
Should I require a Cesarean Section:
· I would like my husband to be present at all times during the c-section.
· I would like to have contact with the baby as soon as it is possible in the delivery room.
· I prefer to have a hand free to touch the baby.
o If my baby is healthy, I would like to hold my baby and nurse it immediately in recovery.
· I would like to sign any waivers necessary to permit me to be with my baby in recovery.
Informed consent is very important to us. Please discuss any procedures and medications with us before administration